The situation on the Eastern Front is tense, but controllable, said commander of the Ukrainian ground forces, Gen. Oleksandr Syrskyi, quoted by DPA. According to him, the focus of attention is on the defense of Bakhmut and inflicting maximum losses on the formations of the Russian private military company "Wagner". In recent days, Russian forces have increased the intensity of use of heavy weapons, deployed more advanced military equipment and regrouped their troops, the general also said. "This shows that the enemy will not change its plans and is doing everything in its power to capture Bakhmut and continue its offensive," the senior Ukrainian military official added.
At least five people have been wounded in Russian strikes on Kyiv, Reuters reports, quoting information from the city authorities this morning. An explosion was also heard after a rocket attack against Odessa took place during the night. Russia has intensified its shelling on Bakhmut with the aim of capturing the city by May 9 - Victory Day, the Ukrainian military leadership claims.
Meanwhile, it became clear that the leader of the Russian mercenary group "Wagner" Yevgeny Prigozhin will not withdraw his men by May 10, as he previously said. After his ultimatum to Moscow, he then announced that he would receive enough ammunition and continue the fight for Bakhmut.